Why take classses?
Prenatal class are more than just funny breathing...
You take them to be prepared, to learn & for confidence.
- Signs & stages of labour, how to cope, what to do
- How your birth partner can support you most effectively
- How your body and baby change, the cardinal movements, optimal fetal positioning
- Techniques, tip & tricks for coping during labour
- Normal progression & phases of labour
- When to go the hospital
- All of the options available to you at home & at the IWK Maternity Hospital
- How to communicate with your birth team & what questions are important to ask your care provider
- Essential resources with evidence-based information to make informed decisions about your care
- Things that nobody may tell you and birth & postpartum
- Postpartum physical & emotional changes & care for mom
- Feeding, infant sleep & caring for your newborn
Who is the instructor?
Adrienne Kehler is a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator, LCCE and a Certified Birth Doula, CD(DONA) and owner and creator of Newbirth Halifax. She offers childbirth education, birth doula services, breastfeeding preparation & support as well belly casting creations. Adrienne brings dedication, compassion and non-judgemental support for every kind of birth whether you are having an epidural, natural birth or c-section.
what is the refund policy?
Refunds are available 20 days before the start date of classes. There will be $60.00 processing fee. If you need to cancel your registration or are unable to complete all five classes due to being away or unexpected early birth, please let me know so we can work out an arrangement.
how do I pay?
what makes these classes unique?
Adrienne Kehler is a certified Lamaze Childbirth Educator and certified Birth Doula, she is in the hospital supporting doula clients for births regularly for the past 7 1/2 years. She is up-to-date with policies, regulations and how it works once you are at the IWK Health Centre.
- Learn healthy birth practices and feel confident with techniques and what your birthing options are
- 14.5 hours total of instruction over 5 weeks to optimize retention of information
- Smaller class size so you are not lost in the crowd
- Rich in quality
- Classes are filled with support and good humour
- Practice hands-on techniques with evidence based information that is practical for your pregnancy, birth and beyond
- Demystify hospital procedures
- Provide a forum for questions you forgot to ask your Family Doctor, Ob-Gyn or Midwife
When should i register?
In general I encourage families to sign up for these classes as soon as you can to ensure your spot in the class. Often families find it helpful to attend when they are in the middle of their second trimester or early in the third trimester. It’s important to have the classes close enough to your due date that the information is fresh but in enough time to receive all of the information, just in case your baby wants to meet you earlier than expected. Classes numbers are kept on the small side for good group dynamics.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from classes?
There is a large parking lot with ample parking available around the entire Vineyard Family Centre Building at 1129 Sackville Drive. There is also a bus, Route #80, which stops right in front of the building.
How Big are the classes?
Newbirth childbirth classes are purposefully kept to a maximum of 6 birthing moms and their birth partners making that a possible total of 12 people. Having a smaller class size provides more opportunity for interaction, questions, and better group dynamics.